2.28.2007

Television..

If you ask any busy parent what the best way to keep their chilren occupied for a few minutes at home is to sit them by the television. I know that personally, when I babysit my Godson, his mother always tells me to turn the television on and let him watch for a few HOURS if I need a couple minutes to go into the other room and do something else. I find this to be a terrible habbit because chilren nowadays are so fixated with the television and all the shows that are on that they don't read or even go play outside and be the even the least bit active. Naturally though, I on occasion, put him in front of the televsion (few 30 minutes at most) because it truly is useful. For example, when I'm making dinner, I can't be holding him and catering to all his needs while I'm sitting over the stove trying to cook him dinner. I personally was brought up to play outside whenever and as much as I can, after I had finished all my homework of course! I think that children are becoming less active and dropping out of school more often because of television. These days, there are over 200 channels on any given cable, satellite dish, direct tv, etc, so it gives the children more of a chance to watch more television. At any time of the day there is at least one program on t.v. that is appealing to someone and that is the trigger.
I know that I may sound like a hypocrit because I do enjoy watching telesivion, and like most other people I have those weekly shows that I feel I must watch, but other than that, I don't watch television much. I think that because I wasn't brought up to watch television every free moment of my life i don't feel the need to watch it all day long, which is probably why I am so against raising children to watch television just because it keeps them occupied while their parents are busy. Attention parents! A book keeps your chilren occupied as much if not more than the television does! Keep that in mind =)

No comments: