3.20.2007
Bratz v Barbie*
This morning in class professor Marsh showed us an article he found which spoke about the differences between the Barbie doll and the new Bratz dolls. Personally, I have at least 20 Barbie dolls still in their original packaging because they are 'collectors edition' and are suppose to cost a lot of money a few years down the road, and now, with the new Bratz dolls I'm starting to believe that. There were many complaints about the Barbie dolls a few years ago because their bodies were an impossibility for real women and women all over the world were striving to look like these 'perfect' dolls. Soon after though, the makers of the doll changed the way she looked and made her proportions more realistic, BUT* Barbie was never sleazy. She was always the classy doll that all little girls looked up to and wanted to grow up to be. On the other hand, these new dolls, the Bratz dolls, are indeed quite sleazy. They are anorexic looking, with huge heads and way too much make up on. What kind of an impression does this leave on young girls?? -that it's okay to look cheap and sleazy?? That's ridiculious!! These are not the things that we should be exposing our young girls to. What happened to being classy and sophisticated? These new Bratz dolls are nothing but cheap and and sleazy, basically the complete opposite of the Barbie doll. Which brings me to my next point- which makes me quite happy- knowing now that these new Bratz dolls are taking over and they are the new 'craze' with young girls, Barbie will become a thing of the past, and so, my over 20 sealed boxes of Collector's Edition Barbie dolls will be worth quite a nice amount of money by the time I have chilren and pass them on to my daughter. BUT* I am in no way encouraging these new Bratz dolls. I think they are ruining the image of respectable women to young girls, but sadly, I know that their growth and sales will only rise in time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment